Sunday, April 22, 2012

"RED DRAGON"!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

"RED DRAGON"!

I have a Red Dragon Japaneese Maple Tree in my Shade Garden that I want to share with you today.  This little beautie is only 2 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet wide and I purchased it three years ago for $25.00.  At the time, it was probably about 1 1/2 feet tall at best. 

This is the perfect little Japaneese Maple Tree for a small place that is in the shade.  The leaves are a Mahogany Red when they come out in the early spring and fade to a more subdued shade by late Fall.  They do not keep their leaves in the winter time. 

This species has an umbrella like shape which is very flattering in the garden.  You can also trim them to keep them that shape.  As a very slow growing specimen, reaching only about 4-6 feet in height at maturity, it is perfect for a small spot in your garden.  I plan on trimming mine to keep it small, under 4 feet.  Underneath the little tree I have Sweet Woodruff that blooms white in the spring and creeps, making a ground cover eventrally. 

I had looked for a Japaneese Maple Tree for quite some time for that garden to give it some heigth interest, but the usual cost of $150.00 and up was very cost prohibitive.  We have a Marc's Discount Store in our town and they always have closeouts and great buys on garden plants outside.  There were only 5 little trees left when I discovered it about 3 years ago for $25.00.  What a bargain.  And, it is strill thriving in my shade garden.  One of the best purchases I have every made!  Enjoy the pictures and infor.

Until next time.

Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment