Saturday, April 7, 2012

Early Spring in the Shade Garden

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Early Spring in the Shade Garden

For those of you who have followed my blog, you know that I always post pictures of my shade garden as it progresses through the season.  This Spring, my shade garden has lots of empty spots due to my Brunnera plants taking over the garden once again and having to get rid of many of them.  Once they are established in your garden, they will reseed endlessly.  So, now I have room for some new plants this year.  Maybe Astilbe?

My shade garden overlooks a beautiful ravine with flowing stream.  There are little waterfalls all down the stream, and the sides of the ravine have been naturalized by periwinkle, daffodils, and pachysandra.  This all blooms in the early Spring and is quite beautiful.  I have many wild animals that live in the ravine, groundhogs, squirrels, fox, opposum, raccoons, etc.  So many birds that come to my feeder stations.  It is just a idylic area to stop and stay awhile in. 

I have included a picture of the Mother Plant Brunnera.  At 2 feet around and 8 inches tall, she is quite a beauty.  Right now she is blooming away.  Unfortunately for me, all those seeds from the blooms will turn into little ones!  I will be tossing more as the season progresses!  They would take over my garden completely if I did not.

I have much to do yet in this garden if the weather ever get's into the 60's again.  It has turned chilly here in Northeast Ohio.  Adding organic material to the garden this year and weeding like crazy again.  Until next time, hope you enjoy my "little peace of heaven".

Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com





No comments:

Post a Comment