Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Little Yellow Corydalis

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Little Yellow Corydalis

Corydalis is a wonderful little mounding plant to add to your shade garden.  It has gray-green leaves that are fernlike and has a close relationship with bleeding-heart (Dicentra).  The flowers, though, are distinctively different; small clusters of down-hanging, nearly tubular 3/4 inch long yellow blossoms dot the foliage for a lengthy Summer blooming period.  They start their bloom time in early Spring.

It normally reaches a heigth of 12 to 15 inches high making this a fine foreground plant in locations where soil is always moist and high-branching trees cast light or filtered shade.

You should provide it with good, organically enriched soil that is steadily moist (but not soggy).  Under these conditions, volunteer seedlings will enlarge the planting.

I purchased a small plant about five years ago for my shade garden and the last two years it has produced babies.  This year I have donated some to my Garden Club's Annual Perrenial Plant Sale. 

When the weather warms up a bit, I need to purchase organic composted manure for my garden.  It is very rich and has a black like quality.  The whole garden needs to be enriched this year.  I have posted some pictures of the Corydalis in my garden.  Hoping you enjoy them and the information that I have provided.  Until next time.

Rosemary, Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment