Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Heart Bleeds for You

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Heart Bleeds for You.

Bleeding Hearts abound in my Shade Garden, from the old fashioned kind to chartruese green leaves with pink flowers to dark green leaves with white flowering hearts.  I wish I had more room for some different, new varieties, but, my little shade garden can only accomodate so many. 

For the last three years, I have had to divide them because they have gotten so big.  Averaging 2 1/2 feet around, they take up a lot of space.  The heart shaped blooms come out in the early Spring and bloom until end of May.  Foliage will stay nice until the hotter summer days of July and August turn the leaves yellow, then they start to dye down. 

Bleeding Hearts need moist, enriched composted soil to really thrive well.   They also reseed themselves very well with lots of baby plants.  I hope everyone who has shade and who follows my blog will try some in their garden this year.  Such a joyful plant!   They are easy to grow.  I have included some pictures from my shade garden this spring.  Enjoy!

Until next time.

Happy Gardening, Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com

1 comment:

  1. I love bleeding hearts. I just got a bleeding heart basket. The one with white and red flowers. I'm trying to figure out whether I want to keep it in the basket or plant it in the ground.

    ReplyDelete