Monday, April 16, 2012

Jack-in-the-Pulpits in My Little Garden

Monday, April 16, 2012

Jack-in-the-Pulpits in My Little Garden

I am so excited about findings two areas where Jack-in-the-Pulpits have come back in my shade garden.  Last Summer I dug up some left overs in my back garden that the garden club members did not dig out.  I found a few Jack-in-the-Pulpit tubors and planted them in two spots in my side shade garden.  They are kind of a finicky plant and I did not know if the transplant would be successful.  I had purchased the original plant some years ago and placed it in my back garden (the one that was replaced by an expanded deck area last year).  Well, to my suprize, I found 2 areas where they are coming up in my side shade garden yesterday while I was working in the garden.

The top picture also has a trillium in the forfront.  As the plant developes, I will post more pictures.  In my back garden, they reached about 2 feet tall.  After they bloom (the pulpit) the stem produces red berries all along the sides.  Then, they finally go back into the ground until next spring. 

If you should be so lucky as to acquire one of these plants, they need moist , rich soil, deep shade (do well as underplantings) and patience.  Composted manure should be mixed into the soil before planting and yearly, thereafter.  The little colony will grow if you just give them time.  The rewards are immense.

As for the Trillium, they bloom white (there is a yellow variety) three petal flowers.  A colony will form, also. 

Both of these plants are specialty plants and you can purchase them at local nurseries.  Do not take plants from the wild, as these are accustomed to the soil that they grow in.

Hoping you enjoyed today's blog entry.  Until next time. HAPPY GARDENING!

Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment