Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"St. Francis in My Garden"!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"St. Francis in My Garden"!

Do you have a St. Francis statue in your garden?  Afterall, he is the Patron Saint of Animals and Birds.  I have him in my shade garden to keep watch over all the wild things!  This one is made of concrete and is really heavy, stained brown and stands about 2 1/2 feet tall.  He always has a place of honor in my shade garden and looks great amongst the Maiden Hair Fern, Brunnera and other shade plants.  He watches over all the birds who come to visit my feeders and garden, the chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, toads and frogs, etc. who occasionally visit there.

When I first thought of acquiring one for my garden, I looked at the local nurseries and found them to be much too expensive.  At $100.00 and upwards it was way out of my budget.  So, I visited Kimbles Concrete Statuary on State Road in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.  It is a small business selling unfinished and finished statuary.  I think I paid about $30.00 for mine and it was stained  brown already.  Through the years, it has aged and I always take it inside in the late Fall so that he does not crack in the winter freezing and thawing that we have here in the Northeast.  I wrap him in newspaper and place him in a plastic tub container until Spring when he gets to come out and reign suppreme in my shade garden.

Until next time.

Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment