Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Clematis"

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Clematis"

Today, I would like to share with you some pictures of my beautiful Clematis vines which are now starting to bloom.  I have three trellises in back of my garden bench that have Clematis vines growing up them.  The predominant one is an Autumn Clematis that blooms in the Fall with the sweetest smelling white small flowers.  It is very invasive and will take over your garden area if you do not prune it back. 

Intertwined with the Autumn Clematis are two other types that bloom in the Spring going into Summer.  I don't know that names but the lavender one has flowers that look like the Passion Plant flowers. The other is a purple/red color.

I also have them growing up my garden arch and the one side is blooming already.  The other side of the arch will be bursting into bloom soon.  Plan on seeing pictures of that as it progresses.

Clematis need sun and also to have their "feet" protected from the sun.  You should always plant them so that the very bottom part of the plant is shaded by other plants.  I have hostas and boxwood shurbs planted in back and on the sides to provide that needed shade.  I prune mine back in the late Fall because the leaves turn brown and crispy.  Pruning it to about 6 inches from the ground does not hurt the plant and will only make it come back in the early Spring more vigorously.  You should also amend your soil adding composted manure around the base once a year, usually in the Spring.


Hope you enjoy the pictures. 

Until nex time.  Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment