Saturday, May 5, 2012

Little Critters in the Garden

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Little Critters in the Garden

I don't know about you, but I love to have some Little Critters in my garden in the way of frogs, turtles, snails, etc.  Today, I would like to share with you my garden statuary that I have collected over the years.  It seems to really bring your garden "alive".  Some of them seem so life-like!

My large box turtle is munching his way around the hostas by my birdbath.  He is made of resine, but so lifelike in detail.  Frogs are lounging in the garden, just waiting for an unexpected insect to fly by them.  "dinnertime!". 

The frog on the log is really a tree frog and usually resides on my garden post in the back.  That garden post was moved to the corner of my newly extended decks and now hosts a platform feeder for the birds.  Because the post is wood, the racoons and squirrels can now get into the feeder (I have to chase them out) and they knock the frog to the ground. So, consequently, he was moved to the side garden under the shade of the bleeding hearts..  My sister-in-law Carol purchased it for me a few years ago for Easter.

The toad house is made of clay.  I never know who might be hiding inside on a warm summer day.  Toads, perhaps?  Maybe a chipmunk?

Now, the mushrooms and snail are ceramic and are very old.  Years ago (more thatn 30) I had made them for my Mom during a ceramics class I took when my boys were very young.  When my Mom passed away almost 9 years ago, I took them back to my garden.  They have a place of honor in her memory along with her "Memory Stone"  That stone is discussed in an earlier blog post.

The cement birdbath with the dragonfly was given to me by my wonderful daughter-in-law Janet.  It was a Christmas gift several years ago.  She had purchased it at a craft show (Ohio Mart at Stan Hywet) that we attended together. 

All of my statuary gets stored, wrapped in newspaper, in plastic tubs in the garage over the winter months.  They would evenutally crack and be ruined if I failed to do that.

Hoping you enjoy the pictures.

Garden Gate Designs
www.gardengatedesigns.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment