Saturday, May 28, 2011

ST. FRANCIS IS IN MY SHADE GARDEN



My little shade garden has St. Francis, the Patron Saint of Animals watching over it. I acquired my St. Francis of Asisi Statue over ten years ago, and he always has a special place in my side shade garden. He sits in a corner surrounded by ferns and hostas with different types of "dead nettle" at its base. Through the years, my ferns have grown larger, and St. Francis kind of "peaks" out of his corner. He is made of concrete and has been stained a brown color.

He was obtained at a concrete statue company just south of where I live. After considering other statues at area garden centers and deeming them just too expensive an acquisition, I decided to visit the small statuary company that I had passed several times before, but never explored. He was a definite bargain at $39.00. Reaching just about 3 feet in height a similar statue would have been over $100.00 back then. He comes out of my garden in the late Fall and is stored carefully in my garage over the winter months.

He brings me and my garden visitors comfort knowing that he is watching over all the birds and animals that frequent it. Just looking at him holding a small bird in his hands and with a small deer at the base, gives me immense comfort.

I highly recommend St. Francis for your gardens, be they shade or sun. He will surely bring immense comfort and joy to you, also.

Rosemary, Garden Gate Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment