Thursday, January 22, 2009

Florenza Vintage Jewelry




Thursday, January 22, 2009




I have loved and admired Vintage Jewelry for quite some time now. Recently, I acquired a beautiful Florenza Brooch that measures 2 1/4 inches in diameter, has a large faceted cobalt blue facetted glass stone in the middle of a brushed gold carved setting. It is signed on the back. I purchased it at a favorite antique/gift shop after Christmas. Had my eye on it for about two months and then it went on sale. My son and daughter-in-law had given me a beautiful boiled wood swing jacket in the color of purpleberry for Christmas. The pin was just perfect to accent it with.
I researched the background and history of Florenza Jewelry and thought you might want to read about it.
Designer Daniel Kasoff (original name Kosovsky) worked for Speier Costume Jewelry Company for 10 years before starting his own Dan Kosoff Company NY in 1937. The name "Florenza" came from Dan Kosoff's wife Florence. His son Larry entered into the business in 1950 when the company started making Florenza Jewelry. The jewelry lines produced encompased high quality workmanship, materials and designs. Some jewelry produced leans towards the Victorian and Regency styles. The metalwork, frequently in antiqued gold-tone metal was ornamented by distinct and superior rhinestones of pastel, frosted, and aurora borealis colors. Florenza jewelry has innovative use of beautiful rhinestones that makes its jewelry sought after by collectors. The company also made boutique items such as ring boxes, pincushion animals, lipstick holders, frames in a French gold color to name a few. Florenza jewelry and trinket boxes are highly sought after by collectors today. The company ceased operations in 1981. I have not pinpointed the year that my brooch was designed, but, I am working on it. That is part of the fun of owning Vintage jewelry.
Hopefully, this will inspire you to acquire a piece or two of Vintage Jewelry.




4 comments:

  1. Oh wow...what a stunner...and it's all yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love vintage.. beautiful piece.. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chrisy and Piggy. So glad you enjoyed viewing my new brooch.

    Rosemary, Gardengatedesigns

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Florenza jewelry and the dainty trinket boxes are the best! That's a pretty brooch too!

    ReplyDelete