Friday, February 12, 2010

African Violet - My Rescue Plant from Work




Just thought I would share with all of you my beautiful African Violet that I rescued from work. A friend of mine at work received this plant about 4 1/2 years ago. It was in full bloom when she received it from one of her customers. Being as there is only artificial light where this plant was, it never bloomed again. Between her and me we kept it watered. She is a manicurist and put nail art picks for flowers inside of the plant. About four months ago I took it home with me. I transplanted it into a larger pot with new soil, placed it in my Florida room and about a month later it started to bloom. It has been in full bloom every since. My Mother had a kajillion of these when she was alive. She would rescue the leaves that fall from the plants in our local Woolworths and K-mart and start new plants from them. You can either place the stem in a glass of water to start a new baby, or just plant the stem in the soil and keep it watered until it sprouts a new plant. African Violets like good natural light. Like to be watered from the bottom, never the top because if the leaves get wet, they may rot and fall off. African Violet Fertilizer twice a year, repot when they are rootbound and you should have good luck with them.

Hope you enjoyed my blog today. Remember to check out my jewelry supply shop on Etsy at www.gardengatedesigns.etsy.com.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, those lowers are so pretty. I love plants and currently have two little vines in separate water glasses hoping that I can plant them in soil soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I just love African Violets but can never keep them alive! Yours looks gorgeous!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful plant! I really only have herbs but should probably get some more green inside my house, too. An African Violet would be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete